Tuesday, February 24, 2009

A dirty secret

One of the mental habits I'd like to break myself of: hating just a little bit people with great experiences, like loving a hometown, enjoying the memory of grade school, having great parents. Sam and I watched most of Dan in Real Life, a lovely movie with Steve Carrell playing Dan. Although the main character is tortured and morose, his family is extraordinary. I guess they have to be for the movie to work, but I found myself tearing up. Is this self-pity in action? Is it longing? Is it evil? Whatever it is, I need to figure out how I can stop feeling this way and realize some of my own good luck.

1 comment:

Sam said...

You do have a great family, though, one that outdoes Dan's. They just have different last names, like McColl, Kelly-McColl, Thomas, Anderson, Holsinger, Towsend, Vavra, etc. etc. etc. So it's a question of perspective, perhaps?

By the by, the "captcha" gliph for this comnent is "Gyncyl." If that doesn't sound like a feminine hygiene product, I don't know what does.