Thursday, December 4, 2008

Biting off more than I should; Or, Pie is wonderful

I've done (according to Sam's and my recollections) six of the ten turkey days we've had together, and I love doing the cooking and baking. This year we had a lovely Thanksgiving with Brian and Mary, Sam's mom and dad. 

This year my plan didn't quite work out. I won't publish the details, but in short, over several days, I accumulated a 5-hour-delay. We ate close to 9 pm on Thursday. I like the rush of moving fast to complete last minute tasks to ensure that everything is hot all at once. I do not like last-minute delegation and general triage. Nevertheless, the fundamentals worked out just fine. The pies were tasty, and best of all, the crucial element of the meal was great: the gravy. Even if the turkey is dry (it wasn't), the stuffing bland (nope), and the potatoes lumpy (not in my house), gravy covers it all up. 

So, this year, I'm thankful for Sam (!), for my family, and for not turning into a big sodden mess. 

**Addenda: Sam, you were a wonderful support at the most stressful points. Also, as a general note, I love my ricer. Everyone should have a ricer, even if it's only for potatoes. And I love my pastry blender. Everyone should have a pastry blender because pie is wonderful. 

No comments: