Friday, November 7, 2008

How to start a fire

I miss reading good books but cannot give up the luxury of a quiet voice reading me to sleep. Nevertheless, no illusion stands between an audiobook and actual reading.

In the service of trying to do more real reading, I checked out the Kindle, a device Amazon is pushing. Its screen works like paper, sort of, allowing the user to read even in bright daylight. It also connects to Amazon through a cellular network, allowing fast and free downloading of comparatively inexpensive books anywhere a cell phone can connect. It's ugly and expensive and technologically selfish, but most reviews were positive.

After some thought, I realized that the new device wouldn't solve my central problem. And—this is important—the thing can't retain the physical elements of a paper book, like page layout, paper quality, typeface that isn't Cambria. You can do what I plan to do (here in a minute). Pick up the closest book and smell it. Turn the pages and listen. Look at its age, and open it until the spine cracks. Smush the pages and write your name on the surfaces that creates. Read it until the page falls away, in that mysterious process of becoming absorbed.

Now call me Ned Lud. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I feel you on the real, paper books thing - but, as we move into the future, will paper books disappear? Will paper books become like other print media? Will it become un-PC to buy new paper books in a world more concerned with the environment?

I like to wonder what the future holds for smaller things too! (One can't think about globalization, poverty, and a warming climate all the time.)

An aside: I can definitely see how this tool would make traveling so much easier. Melissa and I use a lot of space in our luggage for books, making for very heavy bags to lug around.