Thursday, March 27, 2008

What it's sometimes like in here; or, I am often a bad conversationalist

I'm sure I've mentioned this, but my oral exam is coming soon and it's causing me to be a little obsessive/avoidant, which is kind of like being passive-aggressive, but with anxiety. The exam will be about 2 hours long. I've been thinking a lot about it. My best shot may be to try to get my committee members to argue with each other. I need to make a plan for how to prepare for this thing, but whenever I think about it, I get this queasy feeling and I have to lay down or think about something else.

I like the word innumerate. I also like this quotation, from Mr. Nietzsche: "Someone who does not write books, who thinks a lot, and who lives in [an] unsatisfying society will usually be a good letter-writer." I do all three, and although I'm a spotty letter-writer, I now assume that the ones I write are superior. 

I'm sure I've mentioned this, but my oral exam is coming soon and it's causing me to be a little obsessive/avoidant. . . .

Also from Nietzsche, in the mouth of Zarathustra. It makes me laugh: "If I must be pitying, then I certainly do not want to be called such; and if I am, then preferably from a distance." Also funny (although mostly misquoted and mistaken for something happy and light): "I would only believe in a god who knew how to dance." I should take a nap with Nora. She'll like that. And then I can read my crappy book instead of——

I'm sure I've mentioned this, but my oral exam. . . .

This counts, right? Reading around Thus Spoke Zarathustra for aphorisms that are funny or interesting? Like this: "That everyone is allowed to learn to read ruins not only writing in the long run, but thinking also." This one belongs on a poster: "I learned to walk, since then I let myself run. I learned to fly, since then I do not wait to be pushed to move from the spot."

I'm sure I've mentioned . . . .

"Life is hard to bear: but then do not carry on so tenderly! We are all of us handsome, load bearing jack- and jillasses."


No comments: