Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Circumspect, part 2

On another note—the last resort of a writer who has no other method of transition—I'd like to talk about misspeaking. The Oxford American Dictionary widget I have suggests that misspeaking denotes an error of accuracy. My Merriam-Webster dictionary defines lie as "1. to make an untrue statement with the intent to deceive"; and "2. to create a false or misleading impression." The difference between misspeaking and lying may be one of intent, in the first definition of the word lie, but the second definition of lie and the meaning of misspeak seem to be the same: to create a false impression occurs as a result of failing to express oneself accurately.

 

In short, Senator Clinton lied. 

 

I think she lied with intent and used the word "misspoke" to avoid admitting it. Running from sniper fire seems like it would be a memorable experience, unmistakable for talking to a small girl on the tarmac, with Chelsey at her side.

 

But even if she didn't intend to polish up a revised and "vivid" (NY Times) version of the Bosnia trip so it makes her look brave and important, she lied. 

No comments: